- Payton, F.C. and Busch, A. Undergraduate Computer Science Trends in North Carolina: Opportunities and Challenges Associated with Broadening Participation, Communications of the ACM, Forthcoming.
- Sax, L., George, K.L., Harris, D., Payton, F.C. Gender/Race/Ethnicity: Diversity in Undergraduate Computing, Journal of Women and Minorities in Science and Engineering, Forthcoming
- Kvasny, L., Payton, F.C., and Neupane, B. Systems, Algorithmic Equity in the Hiring of Underrepresented IT Job Candidates, Online Information Review – Special Issue on Social and Cultural Biases in Information, Algorithms, and Systems
- Payton, F.C. and Berki, E. Countering the Negative Image of Women in Computing, Communications of the ACM (62:5), 56-63, May 2019
- Payton, F.C., Kvasny, L. and Pinter, A. (Text)Mining Microaggressions Literature: Implications Impacting Black Computing Faculty, The Journal of Negro Education – Innovations in African American Educational Research: A Special Issue Commemorating the 150th Anniversary of W.E.B. Du Bois’ Birth (87:3, Summer 2018), 217-229 (Media)
- Payton, F.C., Kvasny, L., and Pinter, A. Manifesting Its Ugly Roots: Text Mining Mental Health Literature and College Students, Journal of Medical Internet Research – Mental Health ,5:4, 2018 (Media)
- Kvasny, L. and Payton, F.C. What About Our Daughters: Learning About Health Information Seeking from Students at Predominantly White Institutions, Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology (JASIST), Vol. 69, No. 6, pp. 798-806, 2018.
- Hicklin, K., Ivy, J., Wilson, J. Payton, F. C., Viswanathan, M., and Myers, E. Simulation Model of the Relationship between Cesarean Section Rates and Labor Duration, Health Care Management Science, 2018.
- Hicklin, K., Ivy, J., Payton, F.C., Kulkarni, V., Viswanathan, M., and Myers, E. A Bayesian Approach to Value of Information: The Value of Waiting During a Trial of Labor, Service Science – Special Issue on Advancing Health Services, 2018.
- Nataraj, N., Ivy, J., Payton, F.C. and Norman, J. Diabetes and the Hospitalized Patient: A Cluster Analytic Framework for Characterizing the Role of Sex, Race and Comorbidity from 2006 to 2011, Health Care Management Science, 2017.
- Joshi, K.D., Trauth, E., Kvansy, L., Morgan, A. and Payton, F.C. Making Black Lives Matter in the Information Technology Profession: Issues, Perspectives, and a Call for Action, The Data Base for Advances in Information Systems, 2017.
- Payton, F.C., White, A. and Mullins, T. STEM Majors, Art Thinkers, Journal of STEM Education and Research, 2017.
- Payton, F.C. and Kvasny, L. Technology Affordance – Maybe Not: The Case of Stigmatized Health Conditions, Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 2016, 1-6. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jamia/ocw017
- Payton, F.C., Cultures of Participation & Design – @myhealthimpact: For Students, By Students, Information Systems Journal, 2015, doi:10.1111/isj.12086.
- Payton, F.C. and Galloway, K. Here Comes the #Engagement: A Serious Health Initiative Made Trendy, XRDS ACM Magazine, 2014 (21:2), 28-31.
- Payton, F.C. and Galloway, K. The Analytics of Social: Listening to the Not-So-Visible, Insider O.R., 2014.
- Payton, F.C., Morais, D., Heath, E. Multi-stakeholder assessment of a Mobile and Temporarily Interconnected Systems Prototype: People-First Tourism, African Journal of Information Systems, 2014 (7:1).
- Zhang, S., Nagarajan, R., Payton, F.C., and Massarweh, S., Inferring Breast Cancer Concomitant Diagnosis and Comorbidities from the Nationwide Inpatient Sample using Social Network Analysis, Health Systems, 2014 (3), 136-142.
- Payton, F.C., Kvasny, L. and Kiwanuka-Tondo, J. Seeking and Perceiving Online HIV Prevention Information: Black Female College Students’ Perspectives, Internet Research, 2014 (24:4), 520-543.
- Zhang, S., Payton, F.C., and Ivy, J.S. Characterizing the Impact of Mental Disorders on HIV Patient Length of Stay and Total Charges, IIE Transactions on Healthcare Systems Engineering, 2013 (3:3), 139-146.
- Zhang, S., Payton, F.C., and Ivy, J.S. Characterizing the Impact of Mental Disorders on HIV Patient Length of Stay and Total Charges, IE Magazine, 2013.
- Kiwanuka-Tondo , J., Albada, K.F. and Payton, F.C., Media ownership and news framing: an analysis of HIV/AIDS coverage by Ugandan Press, African Journal of AIDS Research, 2012, (11:4), 361-371.
- Brailsford, S., Harper, P., LeRouge, C. and Payton, F.C., Health Editorial, Health Systems, 2012, 1, 1–6.
- Payton, F. C., Suarez-Brown, T.L. and Lamar, C. S. Applying IRSS Theory: The HBCU Case of Clark Atlanta University, Decision Sciences Journal on Innovative Education, 2012 (10:4), 495-513.
- Payton, F. C. and Kvasny, L. “The Underground Railroad of Social Media Information”: Black Bloggers, Techoactivisum and the Jena 6, Information Technology & People, 2012, (25:1), 81-102.
- Cameron, B. and Payton, F.C., Analysis Using Identical Patient Types Across Providers and the Implications for the Health Care Supply Chain, International Journal of Healthcare Delivery Reform Initiatives, 2011.
- Payton, F., Pare, G, LeRouge, C. and Reddy, M. Health Care IT: Process, People and Patients and Interdisciplinary Considerations, Journal of the Association of Information Systems – Special Issues on Health Care IT, 2011, (12:2), pp.i-xiii.
- Mengistu, K., Payton, F.C., Mbarika, V. and Meso, P., Testing Integrative Technology (Telemedicine) Acceptance Models Among Ethiopian Physicians, Telemedicine and eHealth, 2010.
- Zhang, S., Ivy, J. S., Payton, F.C. and Diehl, K., Modeling the Impact of Comorbidity on Breast Cancer Patients Outcomes, Health Care Management Science, 2010 (13:2), 137-154.
- Payton, F.C., Beyond the IT Magic Bullet: HIV/AIDS Prevention Education and Public Policy, Journal of Health Disparities Research and Practice, 2009 (3:2), 13-33.
- Payton, F.C. and Kiwanuka-Tondo, J., Contemplating Public Policy in AIDS/HIV Online Content, Then Where is the Technology Spirit?, European Journal of Information Systems, 2009, 18, 192-204.
- Kvasny, L., Payton, F.C., Mbarika, V. and Amadi, A., Gendered Perspectives on the Digital Divide, IT Education and Workforce Participation in Kenya, IEEE Transactions on Education, 2008 (51:2), 256-261.
- Mbarika, V., Payton, F.C., Kvasny, L. and Amadi, A., IT Education and Workforce Participation: A New Era for Women in Kenya?, The Information Society, 2007 (23), 1-18.
- Payton, F.C., The Last Word: Resilience: My Pathway to the IT Professoriate, Diverse, 2007.
- Payton, F. C., Gary Dickson Exemplar: Applying IRSS Psychology Discourse, Communications of the AIS, Special Issue Honoring the Contribution of Dickson to Student and Colleague Mentoring, 2007(20), 11-14.
2006 and Prior
- Payton, F.C., African-American IT Professionals: Diversity and Employee Rights Considered, Journal of Individual Employment Rights: Special Issue on Implication of Technology and Information Systems for Individual Employee Rights, 2006 (11:4), 349-367.
- Payton, F.C., White, S., and Mbarika, V., Using IRSS Psychology Theory to Understand the Experiences of Under-represented Faculty in the IS/IT Domain, Decision Sciences Journal of Innovative Education, 2006 (4:2), 191-213.
- Earp, J. and Payton, F.C., Health Care and Banking Professionals: Will They Protect Your Privacy?, Journal of Organizational Computing and Electronic Commerce, 2006 (16:2), 105-122.
- Payton, F.C. and Zahay, D., Data Warehousing & Health Care CRM: The Role of Trust in the Implementation Process, Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, 2005 (10:4), 315-326.
- Payton, F.C., White, S. and Mbarika, V., A Re-Examination of RacioEthnic Imbalance of IS Doctorates: Changing the Face of the IS Classroom, Journal of the AIS, 2005 (6:1), 37-51.
- Pal, A., Mbarika, V., Payton, F.C. and Datta, P., Telemedicine Diffusion in a Developing Country: The Case of India, IEEE Transactions on IT in Biomedicine, 2005 (9:1), 59-65.
- Payton, F. C. and Handfield, R., Strategies for Data Warehousing Intelligence Piece, Sloan Management Review, 2004 (45:3), Abbreviated from December 2004 CAIS Publication
- Payton, F.C., The Last Word: STEM Education and African Americans, Black Issues in Higher Education (21:2), 2004 (Invited Piece based on Digital Divide, CACM 2003 Publication)
- Payton, F.C., Rethinking the Digital Divide, Communications of the ACM, 2003 (46:6), 89-91.
- Payton, F.C., e-Health Leading to B2E Commerce in the Human Resource Function, Journal of Organizational Computing and Electronic Commerce, 2003 (13:2), 147-161.
- Payton, F.C. and Zahay, D., Understanding Why Marketing Doesn’t Use the Health Care Corporate Data Warehouse for CRM Applications, Journal of Database Marketing, 2003 (20:4), 237-244.
- Payton, F.C. and Handfield, R., Data Warehousing Implementation and Outsourcing Challenges: An Action Research Project with Solectron, Communications of AIS, 2003 (12), 633-648.
- Payton, F.C., and Ginzberg, M.J., Interorganizational Health Care Systems Implementations: An Exploratory Study of Early Electronic Commerce Initiatives, Health Care Management Review, 2001 (26:2), 20-32.
- Payton, F.C., E-Commerce Technologies That Do Steal!, Decision Line, 2001
- Payton, F.C., Lessons Learned From Three Interorganizational Health Care Systems Implementation, Information and Management, 2000 (37:6), 311-321.
- Earp, J., Payton, F.C., and Baumer, D., Privacy, Computerization of Medical Records and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, Computers and Society, 2000 (30:4), 40-47.
- Payton, F.C. and Jackson, C., Diversity in IS: What are Current Ph.D. Students Saying using GDSS?, Computer Personnel, 1999, (20:3), 27-39.
- Payton, F.C., and Brennan, P.F., Examining Systems Utilization of a Community Health Information Network, Communications of the ACM, 1999 (42:12), 85-89.
- Payton, F.C., Brennan, P.F., Ginzberg, M.J., Needs Determination For A Community Approach To Health Care Delivery, International Journal of Technology Management – Special Issues Series 1999, (11), 157-174.